|Tips for Finding Lost Pets
I want to mention something that happened to me today. I went to Petsmart, was buying some litter and saw
some toys that they have up front for dogs. They looked like something Finney would like to play with so I bought
it. I realized when I got home that because they were in one of those thick clear plastic packages with the staples
at the top, that it smelled absolutely horrid! I don’t know what kind of chemicals they used on this stuff but oh my
god! I’m actually still not feeling well from it. Seriously. I ended up throwing the entire thing in the garbage
outside and I still have a headache and feel nauseas. The smell was so strong I have been airing out my house
for the last 3 hours. I’m pretty chemical sensitive but never this bad. So I cannot imagine if people are actually
letting their pets play with these toys. This is a good lesson to actually make sure BEFORE you buy a pet toy
that it’s not in one of these packages. Otherwise don’t get it, it’s not worth the risk to any of you, fur or no fur.
Keep Listeria Out of Your Kitchen
Pet Connection: Helping your child cope with pet's death
Consumer Reports: Pets can pass diseases on to humans; preventive steps can help
This is about cancer in pets and very encouraging for early detection:
Imaging Agents Offer New View of Inflammation, Cancer
Also: Developing DNA tests to diagnose cancer in cats
Researcher hopes to help veterinarians identify deadly tumors
Partnership launches cat health initiative
Just a Hairball? Or a Sign of Something Worse?
Sunday evening one of our members’ cat, Hunter, decided to sneak into a room he was not normally allowed
into. When his mom found him, he was chewing on a Lucky Bamboo plant. Upon checking the web to see if it
was toxic she did find information that it is toxic. When she called the ER they said it wasn’t and the ASPCA
website states that “regular bamboo” is not toxic. However, you have to actually know the latin name of the plant
to find that it is listed as toxic on the ASPCA site. I have written to them and explained that they should correct
this but haven’t heard back yet. Hunter was brought to the ER just in case and when she explained this
information to them, they had no idea it was toxic because it actually belongs to the Lily family. It’s not a true
bamboo. I was not aware of this, she was not aware of this and neither was the ER. SO! Here’s the information
for everyone to keep on hand:
Lucky bamboo is toxic to cats when chewed or eaten. Also known as dragon tree or Dracaena sanderiana, lucky
bamboo belongs to a family of toxic plants that includes Easter lilies and garden lilies. Lucky bamboo contains
botanical substances similar to chemical soap called saponins. When cats eat toxic bamboo, the saponins cause
dilated pupils, vomiting (with or without blood), anorexia and excessive salivation. Cats that exhibit any of these
symptoms should be taken to a vet immediately.
Is Bamboo Leaves or Plant Poisonous To Cats? What Are Their Symptoms?
Be advised that if you call the ASPCA Poison Control it’s a $65 charge!!! Unbelievable!!! Call the ER, it’s free.
On to another product making the rounds listed as “safe”. Purr & Simple cat litter is made from nut-by-products.
Nuts of any kind are harmful. Their high phosphorus content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Effects of
some nuts like macadamia and walnuts can be anything from vomiting and paralysis to death. Pets can start to
develop symptoms such as an inability to stand or walk, vomiting, hyperthermia (elevated body temperature),
weakness, and an elevated heart rate within 12 hours of eating nuts. This is common information found on any
animal control or ASPCA website. Given this information the statements made below by the company itself are
extremely disturbing to me. As nuts are just as toxic, if not more so to dogs, the last sentence that they tested to
see if dogs would eat it, really takes the cake. If you look at this website, the Phoenix Animal Care Coalition, it
clearly states that “Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the
hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs
have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated.” They may be stressing the highly toxic nuts
but it does also state “along with most other kinds of nuts” as being unsafe and toxic.
Here is a part of the Purr & Simple website info:
Q: Is Purr & Simple safe for animals other than cats?
A: There are no known health effects for other animals, but only shared experiences are known. We have not
performed any formal testing to date.
Q: Is Purr & Simple harmful to cats or other animals if ingested?
A: Purr & Simple™ cat litter is not known to cause harm to animals, including kittens, when ingested in small
amounts. However, if a pet eats a large amount of any litter (e.g., a bowlful), we recommend that you consult a
veterinarian. Fortunately, Purr & Simple has a very bitter taste. We’ve been told that dogs who like to get
samples of kitty waste from a litter box stopped after trying the sample with a side of Purr & Simple.
Yet the homepage of the site states that it has been thoroughly tested. So again this goes back to all of my other
newsletters with the questioning of what kind of testing has been done. And I will state again that products like
this have no way to know what kind of LONG TERM affects ingesting this stuff will have on our pets. I know I am
always anti-grain. But I would rather use a grain based litter any day than use this stuff! At least I know there
wouldn’t be a chance my cat could have a dangerous reaction. Grain allergies are far less life threatening and
don’t usually require a trip to the ER.
Veterinary Q&A: Why blood work is necessary
Pets 'at risk' from home smoking
Vomiting in Cats
Emergency First Aid for Pets
This is VERY good and has some tips I never thought of
Take the time to find the right veterinarian
Paw Prints: Watch cats for weight loss
Just to prove I am not immune to making mistakes like this, I had a devil’s ivy plant in my hallway for the last 10-
15 years. This plant grew like crazy! When I got Finney and Lacey, I let them play in the hallway at night so they
can run up and down the stairs and get out some of that night time energy. Not realizing how tall Finnegan was
going to get, I had to start cutting the length off of the plant and keeping the trails very short. A few times he
easily pulled down some of the strands and chewed on the leaves a bit. Mind you, that was LAST year so he’s
fine thank goodness. Not a hint of it even bothering him, I was lucky. Since the incident with Kelly’s Hunter where
he chewed on some Lucky Bamboo, I decided to double check the safety of this plant. Shock to me because I
thought it was safe but it is NOT safe at all. I’m so lucky nothing happened to him whatsoever and yes, the plant
is gone! None in the house at all, anywhere.
Herbs & Plants That Are Poisonous to Cats
Taurine Deficiency in Cats - Deficiency of Amino Acid Taurine in Cats
|Copyright © IBD Kitties 2008-2014, all rights reserved